Protecting your smile while asleep
Bruxism (teeth grinding and clenching) can cause significant damage to your teeth and supporting structures. While bruxism is most common at night, it can also occur during the day. Dr. Keven R. Mills provides night guards to help halt the damage caused by bruxism and prevent you from grinding your teeth while you sleep.
Bruxism can be difficult to diagnose, as many people who suffer from it are unaware that it is occurring while they are asleep. Some common signs of bruxism include:
- Chronic jaw, facial and ear pain
- Awakening with a tired or tight feeling in the jaw
- Frequent tension headaches and migraines, especially in the morning after waking
- Excessive tooth wear which exposes the inner layers of the tooth
- Chipped, flattened, cracked or very worn teeth
- Indentations on the side of the tongue
- Heightened tooth sensitivity
- Gum recession
Night guards are a special type of mouth guard worn while asleep. Your appliance is specially designed to prevent your teeth from touching, which prevents further damage from occurring. Our dentist may also recommend other therapies to help relieve grinding and clenching, such as relaxation exercises.
Once the damage has been halted and your bruxism is under control, we will work with you to develop a treatment plan that will restore your oral health and smile.
For more information about night guards in Granite Bay, California, and to set up a consultation with our dentist, contact the office of Keven R. Mills, DDS today at 916-791-7227.